Thursday, October 28, 2010

When a family drive turns into work. . . . .

Maybe the city readers will not fully understand the Sunday drive. Some might even ask why a person would willingly get into a car to drive around with no goal in mind for a few hours. Well . . .I don’t really know much myself. We just do it!

As a kid my parents would take us for a Sunday drive, although, not always on Sunday. The goal was to get out, look, and see new things. As a teenager the “main drag” was Main Street of my small town. I do know of people driving like that to get out of the city for a few hours . . . so maybe it’s not that strange.

Anyway, T-rex and I will go for a drive every now and again when he is off, and there is nothing to do. The protests of Lilly, Dino, and Rae never last too long. They love the hills and the dirt roads (something I HATE), and this time of year the trees are so pretty. I love looking at the old farm houses, and seeing the little towns made up of a few blocks.

With T-rex working the whole county our drives have started to turn into work. He wants to take us to some place he found when at work, only to miss the turn, and we end up lost. Only he says we are not lost! The little town he wants to find is not even on the GPS! Yes this is how sad it is. Hours of driving soon take a toll on all of us, but T-rex is determined to find what he is looking for . . . which literally is a house in a mountain of hay!

Good comes out the trips, for he now knows where some small farmer diner is. The food was great, the old famers who came in got a kick out of the girls, and the little gifts were just what I was looking for. Maybe this country life will not be so bad. He is getting to learn more about the whole community, and I am getting to find some rare treats that one cannot find in the city or even in town for that matter.

Just today he came running home with some meat from a small country butcher. The sausage and bacon tastes so much better than the super markets. I just look forward to the day when the Sunday drive is less work! I want to drive around so we can drive again not so T-rex can learn the county. Then again, I don’t know if he will ever be totally off duty anymore. I wonder if that is just a cop thing; to always have part of the mind in cop mode. I guess I can learn to live with it if he keeps bringing home the bacon!

No comments: